History of the library as a part of DIIT’s history
The main feature of the Library's activity is the definition of intellectual information technologies as the strategic vector of its functioning, the ideologeme of its development and the indispensable condition of its existence. The mission of the Library is to meet the information needs of the university community in education, research, pedagogical and administrative practices by providing the resources and services and creating information products. The vision of the Library is a multi-resource and multi-service center of integrated high-quality information support of educational and scientific processes of the university and a scientific-experimental laboratory on digital initiatives of scientific communication in the field of railway transport.
• User as an individual; • Information and knowledge; • Creativity and leadership;
• Professionalism; • Cultural and civic identity.
(DIIT means Dnipro National University of Railway Transport named after V.Lazaryan. It is the laconic name that is much liked among the university teachers and students). Scientific and technical library of DIIT was born along with this educational establishment in the year of 1930. The basic of collection was formed with educational and scientific literature from the collection of Kyiv Politecnic Institute and Dnepropetrovs’k Politachnic school. Services to the readers, literature being served on stock formally were located in 2 small rooms. 10 year later the scientific and technical library became one of the best libraries in the USSR occupying two separate buildings.
The library has survived a lot of hardship: it has grown through decline and further success; tragic situation with a partial loss of the collection being evacuated to the Siberia (Novosibirsk) during World War II. Then came happy events of the post war reconstruction . After that followed from the certain publications accordingly to the decision of the censorial commission. However, the library received new excellent rooms, where the readers were served at the end of 70th of the last century. The library’s development is directly linked with its management by specialists and enthusiasts of library science R.A. Kireeva, S.V. Bukovskaya, P.D. Blohin, M.P. Kacaluha, K.Ya. Korneev, who devoted their lives to the book being offered to the reader. At the beginning there were 2 departments (reader service and literature processing). Following the growth of the university, and accordingly with increasing number of readers, the library kept on improving and restructuring. In the 2008 year it has the following structure:
- Acquisition Department
- Scientific Processing and Catalogue Organization Department
- Information and Bibliographic Department with the sector:
• Sector of Information and Library-Bibliographic User Training
- Library and Information Technologies Department with the sectors:
• Sector of Information Analytics
• Sector of Computer Support
- Study Materials Service Department with the sectors:
• Circulation Department for students of 1 - 3 courses
• Circulation Department for students 4 - 6 courses
• Reading Room
• Library Stack
- Scientific Literature Service Department with the sectors:
• Scientific Literature Circulation Department
• Foreign Literature Circulation Department
• Reading Room
• Media Room
• Library Stack
- Humanities and Economic Literature Service Department
• Fiction Circulation Department
• Humanities and Economic Literature Reading Room
- Library Branch in Lviv with circulation department and reading room
Library occupies the space of 2 124 m.sq. There are 7 departments, 6 lending libraries, media hall and 5 reading rooms for 450 seats.
Today scientific and technical library is one of the largest libraries of the university level and the largest one in the sector of railway transport in Ukraine. It is servicing more than 11 thousand readers. Library stock which encompasses 940 000 copies is the universal basis for education and scientific research. For a year library stock increased for 20-25 thousand copies within the science of classic technical university; and annually the scientific and technical library orders about 150 periodical and informational publications. The educational literature is not the only prerogative of the library funds. There is also works of fictions, encyclopaedic and reference publications, dictionaries, legislative material collection, the format of technical documents, rare scientific and technical editions, special kinds of scientific and technical literature, dissertation and author’s abstracts of scientific papers, scientific unpublished materials, periodical and informative-bibliographic publications. To provide the access to the electronic resources the library structure received a new subdivision; it is Media Hall with the whole range of activities:
- it ia a substantial addition to the other departments; functions.
- it is a version of reference system in the library and beyond the library service.
- it is the opportunity of success to distant resourced being agreed upon with the other libraries, such as LIGA ZAKON, ZODCHIY, EBSCO etc.
- it is the enlarged range of services including help in searching for the information, printing out, copying the information in the diskettes, CD-ROM etc.
- the department staff instructs in a way of lectures on all possible ways how to use electronic catalogues.
- the same instructions is available in the form of booklets.
- in prospect, the general catalogue of Scientific and technical library of DIIT is offered to the user’s attention.
- Website in 2 languages (Ukrainian and English) supplies with the current information, which is continually renewed.
Summurizing the aforesaid, we can say that one of the main objective in the library has been achieved: it is providing access to the educational resources in the university library. This pressuposes electronic catalogues, full-text electronic educational materials and scientific and reference distant informative resources. We have filed these resources in our catalogues and installed the search program.
Our active efforts to open electronic facilities in the library do not mean we are going to completely reject the print format of our funds.
The library invites the readers to enjoy the opportunity to be informed up to the world’s cultural and intellectual level.